Monday 15 February 2016

Gin pole and winch

I was slowly repairing the catamaran throughout last winter. I raised the mast a few times to see how it actually worked. At the same time I googled for an easier way on You Tube. I found a gin pole method which attracted my attention. Using an old spinnaker pole connected at one end to a point near the base of the mast while the top end is shackled to the bottom of the fore-stay which then connects to a 5:1 winch.

The mast can be raised slowly using this winch.Two temporary side stays must be installed to keep the movement of the mast in one plane so that it will not move sideways as it is raised or lowered. 

Initially I used a trapeze wire on each side for this, anchoring them on each side of the trampoline frame, in line with the mast base. 

Later I used the jib sheet which was already there and can be adjusted easily using the existing adjusters and cleats. This time I try to maintain the gin pole in one plane. The mast weighs 18 kg (with all the stay wires probably 20 kg max.) The gin pole weighs less than 2 kg. Wherever the gin pole goes, the mast will follow.


I found this winch at the Hospice shop last Thursday. It was selling at $5. It looked brand new, made in USA and was exactly what I needed! 

I was having some issues with the trailer. I sent it to the workshop and got the draw bar extended 25 cm with 3 holes drilled through the insert. A base plate is welded on it for installing this winch as shown here. 

By some fluke chance, my car's rear door can now be raised fully. Previously, the post holding the front end of the mast prevents me using the rear door. 

It was opened only a little bit and I had to crawl on the ground to look inside the rear door; most uncomfortable.


My real reason for extending the trailer draw bar, was due to the small size of the cul de sac where I made my turn every time I go sailing. One of the two hulls touched the side window if I made too tight a turn.  I never had this problem before with mono hulls where the boat never hit my car. Unwittingly, when I made the draw bar longer, I have solved two problems instead of one. It made my day!


The gin pole is attached using a shackle, swivel and snap hook at the dolphin striker post underneath the mast base.

mast rear support
The mast is clear of the rear support whose second function is securing the boat on the trailer while being towed on the road.

For safety I rigged up the winch to secure the front of the boat on its rollers. For good measure, I also added two lines to secure the hull at the rear while towing, just in case.

4 side stays used

The blue lines secure the side stays (trapeze wires) for the mast. For the gin pole, I use the jib sheet to keep it steady as I crank the winch in stages. It is a slow process, but it works for a single hander in remote locations!

I also have another 2-wheel hand trolley for launching off the beach manually. This catamaran comes with all the practical accessories for single handing. I have yet to try transferring the boat from road trailer to launcher; will try it on the front lawn one day. I googled and found this web site which has all the specifications for this boat. I purchased all my spare parts from The Water Shed at Takapuna, Auckland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment